Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva remains far ahead in a poll out Sunday of candidates in Brazil's October presidential election, even though he has been in prison for two months.
Thirty percent of Brazilians would vote for Lula, who was president from 2003-2010, according to Datafolha pollsters.
Lula, incarcerated at the federal police headquarters in the southern city of Curitiba since April 7, is serving a 12-year sentence for taking an apartment as a bribe.
The 72 year-old leftist politician insists on his innocence, saying the case is politically motivated.
The previous Datafolha survey, published just after Lula was imprisoned, gave him 31 percent support.
Datafolha said that 21 percent of those polled had no preference for president, while 17 percent would support far right-wing candidate Jair Bolsonaro and 10 percent ex-environment minister Marina Silva.
Lula on Friday received full support from his Worker's Party (PT), which stated in a letter that they continued to support him as their presidential candidate "to the final consequences".
Lula's time in office included a commodities-fuelled economic boom and major programs that lifted millions of Brazilians from extreme poverty.
Datafolha interviewed 2,824 voters across the country, and the poll has a two percentage point margin of error.
Saudi Arabia faced a growing chorus of incredulity Sunday over its belated explanation of how critic Jamal Khashoggi died inside its Istanbul consulate, as world powers demanded answers and the whereabouts of his body.After a fortnight of denials, Saudi author
The Maldives' top court Sunday ended weeks of uncertainty by rejecting President Abdulla Yameen's controversial bid to annul last month's election results, upholding his landslide defeat to an opposition candidate. The five-judge Supreme Court bench unanimo
A key Republican lawmaker on Sunday backed Donald Trump's plan to withdraw from a decades-old nuclear accord with Russia, saying the US needed to be free to respond to a Chinese nuclear build-up.The US president on Saturday confirmed his plan to withdraw from
Saudi Arabia's account of the death of dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi inside its Istanbul consulate is not credible and the culprits must be "held to account," a British minister said on Sunday.After a fortnight of denials, Saudi authorities admitted