South Korea reported 15 new confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus on Wednesday -- increasing its total by nearly 50 percent -- including a cluster of at least 11 centred on the southern city of Daegu.
The trade-dependent South has been hit by the economic fallout from the virus outbreak in neighbouring China, but until Wednesday's jump, its own case numbers had hardly changed for several days.
The Korea Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) said in a statement that 15 new coronavirus cases had been confirmed, raising its total from 31 to 46.
Of those, 13 were in Daegu and neighbouring North Gyeongsang province, with 11 of them believed to be linked to a single patient, a 61-year-old woman.
Ten of them attend the same church as the woman, the KCDC said.
She had first developed a fever on February 10 but reportedly refused to be tested for coronavirus on the grounds she had not recently travelled abroad.
She was not put into quarantine until a week later and was confirmed as the country's 31st case on Tuesday.
Seoul has blocked entry to foreigners coming from Hubei, the Chinese province that is the epicentre of the outbreak, and suspended visa-free entry to the island of Jeju, popular with Chinese tourists, but has not imposed a general ban on arrivals from China.
Congregations of a secretive South Korean sect, an assembly of French evangelists and major European football matches: as the new coronavirus radiated across the planet it seeded clusters of infections at mass gatherings that helped magnify its spread. With ar
"Being a prostitute has always been a good option in times of crisis... until this one," says Bruno, a sex worker who fears catching the deadly coronavirus at a time when those in his trade are more vulnerable than ever.One of approximately a million sex wor
Another horror day of the coronavirus pandemic saw the global death toll pass 94,000, although there were tentative signs of hope that the crisis was peaking in the United States and Europe.The picture of the unfolding economic catastrophe also became clearer
Prime Minister Boris Johnson was recovering in a hospital ward Friday after ending three days in intensive care for COVID-19, as his government urged Britons to stay at home over Easter.The 55-year-old leader left intensive care at London's St Thomas' Hospit