Tip News

September 19, 2019

Ronaldo rape lawsuit in US 'not dropped': lawyer - Tip News

Ronaldo rape lawsuit in US 'not dropped': lawyer

Ronaldo rape lawsuit in US 'not dropped': lawyer
'Cristiano Ronaldo's accuser says he sexually assaulted her in a Las Vegas hotel in 2009' - By: AFP/File Carlos Costa

A rape lawsuit filed in the United States against Juventus star Cristiano Ronaldo has not been dropped, the plaintiff's lawyer said Wednesday, dismissing a report to the contrary.

"The charges were not dropped," said Larissa Drohobyczer, attorney for Kathryn Mayorga, who claims she was sexually assaulted by the Portuguese soccer star in a Las Vegas hotel in 2009.

A Bloomberg report that the case had been dropped stemmed from the filing of a notice of voluntary dismissal last month in Nevada state court in Las Vegas.

"The state case was dismissed by us because we filed the identical claims in federal court due to federal court's rules on serving foreigners," Drohobyczer told AFP.

"We basically just switched venues but the claims remain."

Ronaldo, 34, the former Manchester United and Real Madrid player, has strongly denied the accusations against him.

Mayorga, 35, said last year that while she had agreed to a financial settlement with Ronaldo shortly after the alleged incident, her emotional trauma at the time did not allow her to participate in the mediation process.

Following her renewed accusations, Las Vegas police reopened an investigation.

Ronaldo is one of the biggest stars of world football and is a five-time winner of the Ballon d'Or award for the world's best player.

Short link: https://tipnews.com/u/OTY3ODc=

See also:

Related articles

Malta urged to drop libel suits against murdered journalist

Malta urged to drop libel suits against murdered journalist

The Council of Europe's rights commissioner has urged Malta to drop libel suits against murdered journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia, according to a letter to the country's leader seen Thursday by AFP.In her letter, dated September 12 to Prime Minister Joseph

US man charged with scouting targets for Hezbollah

US man charged with scouting targets for Hezbollah

A US citizen was charged Thursday with transmitting information to Hezbollah for possible terrorist attacks in the United States, the Justice Department said.According to prosecutors, 42-year-old New Jersey resident Alexei Saab, who became a naturalized US cit

EU backs Romanian former anti-graft tsar as new prosecutor

EU backs Romanian former anti-graft tsar as new prosecutor

A majority of EU member states on Thursday backed making a former top anti-corruption official from Romania their bloc's first-ever anti-fraud prosecutor -- despite opposition from her own country, European sources said."An informal vote confirmed there is a



HELLO, PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO RATE THIS POST Ronaldo rape lawsuit in US 'not dropped': lawyer

Sending comment Close