Tip News

January 23, 2020

French murder suspect emerges from coma after swallowing poison - Tip News

French murder suspect emerges from coma after swallowing poison

French murder suspect emerges from coma after swallowing poison
'Jacky Kulik holds a portrait of his daughter Elodie who was kidnapped, raped, strangled and her corpse then burned in northern France in January 2002' - By: AFP/File DENIS CHARLET

The suspect for the rape and murder of a young woman in northern France almost two decades ago was slowly emerging from a coma while under guard in hospital Saturday after he swallowed pesticide in an apparent suicide bid following his conviction.

Willy Bardon, on trial over the murder of Elodie Kulik in 2002 in a case that has attracted strong interest in France for years, ingested the substance at the courthouse in the northern city of Amiens late on Friday.

He is "progressively emerging from a coma" but is still in critical condition, prosecutor Alexandre de Bosschere told AFP.

"The product ingested... is a pesticide called Temik. It's an extremely dangerous product... which affects the nervous and cardio-vascular systems," he said.

Bardon, 45, is under round-the-clock police surveillance in hospital.

He had been sentenced to 30 years jail for kidnapping and holding a person against their will followed by death but was however acquitted of murder.

The prosecutor said Bardon had swallowed a pesticide in the seconds after the verdict was announced at court in Amiens at the climax of a 13-day trial.

"We do not know how he managed to hide that," said de Bosschere, adding that the defendant would have been searched before entering the court.

- 'Suicide attempt' -

Bank employee Elodie Kulik, 24, was kidnapped, raped, strangled and her corpse then burned in January 2002 in Tertry, 20 kilometres (12 miles) from Saint-Quentin in the Aisne region.

Before dying, she managed to call emergency services and the harrowing 26-second recording was the key piece of evidence in the trial.

Another suspect Gregory Wiart, whose DNA was found at the scene, died in 2003. But six witnesses told the court they recognised the voice of Willy Bardon on the tape.

DNA testing advances had allowed new evidence to be gathered years after the event, leading police to identify Wiart.

Throughout the trial, Bardon insisted he was innocent, even protesting to the parents of Kulik that he had not been at the scene.

"It is clear that Mr Bardon tried to kill himself. He had said repeatedly that he could not bear going back to prison," his lawyer Stephane Daquo told AFP, adding that the defence would appeal a conviction that he claimed was based "on a simple impression".

Daquo said there were several holes in the investigation.

The victim's father Jacky Kulik expressed relief at the verdict while regretting Bardon's apparent suicide attempt.

"I can go to her grave tomorrow and say that I did my job," Kulik said.

Short link: https://tipnews.com/u/MTE2Mjg3

See also:

Related articles

Top UN court to rule on Myanmar genocide case

Top UN court to rule on Myanmar genocide case

The UN's top court will announce Thursday if it will allow a case accusing Myanmar of genocide against Rohingya Muslims to go ahead and if it will impose emergency measures to stop further violence.The ruling by the International Court of Justice (ICJ) comes

Rape trial told Weinstein a 'seasoned' predator

Rape trial told Weinstein a 'seasoned' predator

Harvey Weinstein was a "seasoned" sexual predator and rapist who abused his power as a movie-producing titan to prey on vulnerable aspiring actresses, prosecutors said Wednesday as his trial heard from its first witness.Weinstein, wearing a dark suit, shook

Macron loses cool with Israeli security in 'Chirac moment'

Macron loses cool with Israeli security in 'Chirac moment'

When French President Emmanuel Macron visited Jerusalem's Old City Wednesday, he also walked in the footsteps of one of his predecessors, Jacques Chirac, by engaging in a heated argument with Israeli security.The altercation flared when Israeli police and dom

Actor Cuba Gooding to stand trial in April

Actor Cuba Gooding to stand trial in April

Actor Cuba Gooding Jr will stand trial April 21 on charges he groped three women, a judge ruled Wednesday, in the latest #MeToo case to reach the courts.The 52 year old actor is accused of inappropriately touching one of the women in a restaurant in Manhattan



HELLO, PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO RATE THIS POST French murder suspect emerges from coma after swallowing poison

Sending comment Close