Tip News

January 24, 2020

Haftar 'agrees to abide by' ceasefire, ready to join Libya talks: Germany - Tip News

Haftar 'agrees to abide by' ceasefire, ready to join Libya talks: Germany

Haftar 'agrees to abide by' ceasefire, ready to join Libya talks: Germany
'Fighters with Libyan internationally-recognised government have been fighting against Haftar since April' - By: AFP Mahmud TURKIA

Libyan strongman Khalifa Haftar has agreed to abide by a ceasefire and said he was ready to participate in an international conference in Berlin on Sunday, Germany's foreign minister said.

Libya's UN-recognised government in Tripoli has been under attack since April from Haftar's forces, with clashes killing more than 280 civilians and 2,000 fighters and displacing tens of thousands.

The leaders of the North African state's warring factions were in Moscow early this week at talks aimed at finalising a ceasefire orchestrated by Russia and Turkey.

"During my visit to Libya today, General Haftar made clear: He wants to contribute to the success of the Libyan conference in Berlin and is in principle ready to participate in it. He has agreed to abide by the ongoing ceasefire," German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas tweeted after talks in Benghazi.

After the Moscow talks, Haftar had walked away without signing the permanent truce, sparking fears about the shaky ceasefire.

Maas had travelled to meet Haftar in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi -- one of the general's strongholds -- in a bid to persuade him to join in the peace initiative.

- Battle for Tripoli -

The trip came days after Maas spoke with Haftar's rival Fayez al-Sarraj, who serves as head of the UN-recognised government in Tripoli.

Separately in Tripoli, Sarraj announced he would attend the Berlin talks held under the auspices of the United Nations.

The battle over Tripoli is the latest unrest to wrack Libya since a 2011 NATO-backed uprising killed dictator Moamer Kadhafi. Since then, Libya has been caught up in fighting between rival armed factions, including Islamist militants.

In his report to the UN Security Council late on Wednesday, UN chief Antonio Guterres urged all warring parties to stop fighting and "engage constructively towards that end, including within the Berlin process".

He also warned against "external interference", which he said would "deepen the ongoing conflict and further complicate efforts to reach a clear international commitment to a peaceful resolution of the underlying crisis".

The Berlin conference will aim to agree six points including a permanent ceasefire, implementation of the arms embargo and a return to the political process for peace, Guterres said.

As well as killing hundreds of people, the fighting in Libya has also spurred a growing exodus of migrants, though nearly 1,000 intercepted at sea have been forced to return this year, according to the UN.

Short link: https://tipnews.com/u/MTE5OTg2

See also:

Related articles

French unions face moment of truth in fight over pensions

French unions face moment of truth in fight over pensions

French protesters prepared to hit the streets on Friday for a fresh day of demonstrations against the government's pension reform, which will be officially unveiled after weeks of strikes by unions warning that millions of people will have to work longer. Un

Sri Lanka new govt to investigate war missing

Sri Lanka new govt to investigate war missing

Sri Lanka's presidency said Friday that death certificates for thousands of people missing presumed dead from the country's civil war will only be given out after proper investigations.The statement followed comments from President Gotabaya Rajapaksa that th

Soros pledges $1bn to battle 'would-be and actual dictators'

Soros pledges $1bn to battle 'would-be and actual dictators'

US financier and philanthropist George Soros on Thursday pledged one billion dollars for a new university network project to battle the erosion of civil society in a world increasingly ruled by "would-be and actual dictators" and beset by climate change.Spea

Trump to present long-delayed Mideast peace plan

Trump to present long-delayed Mideast peace plan

US President Donald Trump said Thursday he will release a long-delayed plan for Mideast peace before a meeting in Washington next week with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu."Probably we'll release it a little bit prior to that," the US leader told



HELLO, PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO RATE THIS POST Haftar 'agrees to abide by' ceasefire, ready to join Libya talks: Germany

Sending comment Close