Tip News

July 22, 2019

Federer 'anxious' ahead of return in Cincinnati - Tip News

Federer 'anxious' ahead of return in Cincinnati

Federer 'anxious' ahead of return in Cincinnati
'Roger Federer is returning to action for the first time since his quarter-final exit at Wimbledon' - By: GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP MATTHEW STOCKMAN

Roger Federer on Monday said he is eager to make his start at the Cincinnati Masters as the world number two begins his delayed summer hardcourt season.

With the US Open a fortnight away, the 37-year-old Swiss is keen to test his form prior to the August 27 kick-off of the last Grand Slam of the season.

The 20-time major winner skipped Toronto last week to pace himself with the tournament at Flushing Meadows followed by the Laver Cup in Chicago in mid-September.

"I've trained hard, I'm anxious. I chose to skip Toronto for the health of my body," the seven-time Cincinnati champion said. "I don't want to be hurt, there is too much to play."

But the Swiss admitted that sitting out competition is difficult.

"Watching from afar is tough," said Federer, who will start against Peter Gojowczyk after the German beat Portugal's Joao Sousa 2-6, 6-4, 7-5.

"But that's part of growing older, you've got to take care of the body.

"It's nice to be back and I hope to have a good tournament."

Federer last played a match on hardcourt 141 days ago, when he lost in the Miami second round to Thanasi Kokkinakis before skipping the clay season and returning on grass.

He said that while he would prefer not to take weeks away, it has now become a necessity in prolonging his fabled career.

"You've got to keep it all in perspective, it's easier now for me to take time away. I wish I could play everything but it's not possible.

"I'm more relaxed about my schedule now. I have more time for the family, which is important for me," the father of two sets of twins said.

"The hectic part of my life has passed. Even when I have to take time away, I still get something out of it."

Federer did express regret that Rafael Nadal, the Toronto champion, had to withdraw from Cincinnati in order to ease the strain on his body after a solid, if demanding, week of success.

"It's a pity Rafa is not playing, but it's still an amazing draw."

Short link: https://tipnews.com/u/NjA3NjY=

See also:

Related articles

Polish Gay Pride marchers defy stone-throwing hooligans

Polish Gay Pride marchers defy stone-throwing hooligans

The first-ever Gay Pride parade was held in the eastern Polish city of Bialystok on Saturday, but the march was marred by violence from soccer hooligans and conservative campaigners staged counter protests, local police said.Some 800 supporters of LGBT+ rights

Couple celebrate first same-sex wedding in conservative Ecuador

Couple celebrate first same-sex wedding in conservative Ecuador

Alexandra Chavez and Michelle Aviles have made history in conservative Ecuador by becoming the first couple to take advantage of a new law allowing same-sex marriage.Chavez, 41, and Aviles, 23, were married in a civil ceremony in the southwestern city of Guaya



HELLO, PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO RATE THIS POST Federer 'anxious' ahead of return in Cincinnati

Sending comment Close