Tip News

June 25, 2019

Near-normal 2019 hurricane season predicted: agency - Tip News

Near-normal 2019 hurricane season predicted: agency

Near-normal 2019 hurricane season predicted: agency
'Satellite image of Hurricane Michael on October 10, 2018 in the Gulf of Mexico' - By: NOAA/RAMMB/AFP/File HO

The US hurricane tracking agency on Thursday predicted a "near-normal" Atlantic hurricane season this year after a destructive 2018.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) forecasts a 40 percent chance of a near-normal season, a 30 percent chance of an above-normal season and a 30 percent chance of a below-normal season.

The season officially extends from June 1 to November 30.

Hurricanes Florence and Michael, in September and October 2018, killed dozens of people and caused tens of billions of dollars in damage in North Carolina, South Carolina and Florida.

This time last year, the NOAA predicted a 75 percent probability of a near or above normal hurricane season.

Authorities are encouraging Americans to prepare. More than 80 million people live in high-risk areas in the United States, most of whom aren't on the coasts themselves, said Gerry Bell, an NOAA official.

Damage from hurricanes is usually caused more by flooding than by high winds.

Short link: https://tipnews.com/u/OTUyMzU=

See also:

Related articles

Caravaggio 'lost masterpiece' snapped up before French auction

Caravaggio 'lost masterpiece' snapped up before French auction

A painting thought to be a "lost masterpiece" by Italian painter Caravaggio has been bought two days before it was due to go under the hammer in France."Judith and Holofernes", which was found under an old mattress in the attic of a house in the French cit

Countdown to NATO space strategy

Countdown to NATO space strategy

NATO will launch its first strategy for space this week as the alliance heads beyond the skies to defend against the likes of China and Russia.As concerns grow about the possible militarisation of space -- alongside more mundane worries about debris orbiting t

Russian, North American astronauts return to earth

Russian, North American astronauts return to earth

The first crew to blast off to the International Space Station following a launch accident that deepened doubts over Russia's space programme returned to earth safely on Tuesday. NASA astronaut Anne McClain, veteran cosmonaut Oleg Kononenko of Roscosmos, and

100 years since the Treaty of Versailles that ended World War I

100 years since the Treaty of Versailles that ended World War I

At 3:50 pm on June 28, 1919 crowds erupted in joy and salvos of celebratory gunfire rang out: the Treaty of Versailles had just been signed. World War I was finally over.Signed at the Palace of Versailles outside Paris, the text set out 440 punishing articles



HELLO, PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO RATE THIS POST Near-normal 2019 hurricane season predicted: agency

Sending comment Close